Here is a what-to-get guide for expecting or new parents who want to stock their nurseries full before the arrival of their newborn.
The list has the quintessential items that a newborn child will need in its initial months. Many cultures around the world think it inauspicious to buy things for the baby before birth, which likely stems from the extremely high infant mortality rate prevalent in the past. However, an increasing number of young parents are now deviating from this norm and collecting products for their baby nursery in advance. The reasons include lack of time, nuclear families, and a wish to buy things of their preference.
While it is easy to go overboard when purchasing things for your newborn, especially if you are a first-timer, a baby does not require a lot of things, and the stuff you will buy in the thrill of the moment might end up unused later. The lesson here is to shop till your heart’s content, but don’t go breaking your bank.
Newborn Baby Essentials Checklist
- Toddler safety seat or car seat. Though not necessary in all cases but highly advised, keeping in mind the traffic conditions.
- Pram or Stroller. These can range from lightweight strollers to entire travel systems with built-in car seats.
- Infant Carrier
- Nappy or Diaper bag with a change mat
- Two packets of nappy pads in newborn size
- Cotton swabs (boiled in an anti-bacterial liquid )
- Baby barrier cream or ointment to prevent rashes
- Wipes – washable or disposable
- Two dozen reusable or cloth diapers
- A dozen onesies or t-shirts (go for light, short-sleeved ones that can be popped over the diaper)
- Seven Swaddling blankets (muslin or cotton is advised)
- Half a dozen pairs of socks or booties (beware though, booties tend to keep falling off)
- Ten singlets/sleeveless vests or undershirts for moderate to hot climates
- Ten sleep suits or rompers for mild to cold climates
- Two baby nightgowns or sleepers
- Eight washable bibs
- Six outing apparels
- Four Scratch Mittens
- Two lightweight receiving blankets and two regular blankets for colder climates
Toiletry and Bathroom Supplies:
- Two Soft towels (with a hood, if you’re feeling fancy)
- Baby clippers or nail scissors
- Baby bathing solution or mild soap
- Disinfecting hand sanitizer
- Baby comb and hairbrush
- Cotton wool balls
- Baby massage oil
- Cotton buds (Go for the ones designed for babies with an enlarged end so they can’t be pushed too far and cause damage)
- Breast pads
- Breast-pump or anything used for hand expressing – with containers for pumped breast milk
- V-shaped cushion (so you don’t have to crouch down to feed your baby and hence keeps back pain in check)
- Six bottles and six nipples or teats
- Bottle brush
- Sterilizing tools (Microwave, Chemical, Boiling or electric)
- A bottle carrier
- Nipple brush
- Liquid detergent to wash bottles and teats
- Container for Milk Powder
For Sleepy Time:
- A Cot
- Two to three waterproof mattress covers
- Pillow Net
- Rattles and Toys
- A Cot Mattress
- Two to three fitted cot sheets
- Mosquito Net
- Two to three soft blankets (if the nursery is air-conditioned)
- Cot mobile
- Toys that play music
- Digital or analog thermometer
- Nasal air pump (you can also get an ear syringe)
Although it’s none of our business, don’t all these baby products sound so adorable? We can’t stop gushing!
Even being equipped with this list of baby essentials, you should try to pare it further down if you’re expecting goodies or gifts from your family, relatives, and friends. Moreover, try to borrow as much as possible from your circle of moms who have these items lying around uselessly. The only things exempted should be are car seats, which should always be new and first hand.